Have you ever wondered what happens when your body can’t produce enough new bone? Bone grafting comes to the rescue.
This surgical procedure replaces missing bones, mends complex fractures, and addresses issues that could hinder your overall health.
Oral surgeons stand out as the go-to professionals for bone grafting procedures.
Table of Contents
When Do You Need Bone Grafting?
There are numerous instances when bone grafting becomes a necessity. Fractured bones that refuse to heal properly, bone defects caused by infections, trauma, injuries, or even benign tumors all call for the expertise of a Los Angeles oral surgeon. Problems with your joint or the need for spinal fusion also necessitate a bone grafting procedure.
Exploring the Types of Bone Grafts
When it comes to bone grafts, we categorize them into two types:
- Allografts: These are bones harvested from a deceased donor, cleaned, and stored in tissue banks.
- Autografts: These are your own bones, usually harvested from areas like the pelvis, wrist, or ribs.
Cost of Bone Grafting in Los Angeles
Bone grafting costs hover around $1,800 to $3,000, factoring in two surgery sites, hospitalization, and anesthesiology. However, oral surgeons in Los Angeles typically offer more affordable rates ranging from $1,600 to $2,800. Keep in mind that the final cost is influenced by several factors:
- Severity of the bone fracture
- Location of treatment
- Type of bone
- Other treatments required before or after bone grafting
The Bone Grafting Procedure
The bone grafting procedure starts with our oral surgeon administering general anesthesia.
Our surgeon then makes an incision and places the bone substitute at the damaged site.
Additional tools such as screws, plates, pins, and wires might be used to secure the graft in place.
Post-surgery, you’ll receive instructions on how to prevent infections.
Bone Grafting Benefits
Bone grafting offers numerous benefits:
- Improved bone structure
- Ability to correct lost teeth
- Better chances for future implants and dentures
- Prevention of bone fragility
- Enhanced facial structure
Limitations of Bone Grafting
Despite the benefits, there are some limitations:
- Discomfort due to swelling in the grafted area
- Increased risk of infections
- Longer periods for bone fusion
Here at Los Angeles Oral Surgeons, we provide top-notch services and offer affordable rates for bone grafting in Los Angeles.